Can I choose the site where I coach?
If you are not a teacher or relative of a girl at an existing site, select “Not affiliated with a site” on the application. Program managers will follow up with you about your time and location preferences.
WHAT IS THE GROUP SIZE?
Girls on the Run requires three coaches per team and a minimum of two coaches (one 21 or older) at each site per practice. The team size is 8-15 participants. If a site would like to host more than one team, they will need to establish a separate group of coaches and meeting days/times. Please complete a separate site application for each team.
DO COACH DAUGHTERS AUTOMATICALLY RECEIVE A SPOT ON THE TEAM?
Yes, coaches have the opportunity to register their daughters in advance of program lottery registration and receive a discount.
DO I HAVE TO BE A RUNNER?
You don’t need to be a runner or have previous coaching experience – just the passion to change the lives of young girls.
WHAT IS THE FEE FOR THE PROGRAM?
Girls on the Run uses an income-based sliding scale so that every girl who wants to participate can. Registration fees are on a sliding scale from $25 – $170. (*Fulton County sites are $180.)
The cost of the program includes:
- 90-minute session twice a week for 12 weeks
- Lesson handouts and materials
- T-shirt and water bottle
- Girls on the Run 5K registration and applicable race expenses – 5k finisher’s medal and t-shirt, refreshments, signage, medical and police personnel, venue rental
- End-of-season certificates and awards
- Girls on the Run coach training and certification
- General liability insurance
- All administrative assistance to coaches, sites, girls and parents
- Nationally recognized curriculum developed by adolescent psychologists
ARE THERE SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE?
We believe in the limitless potential of each girl and will never turn away a girl based on financial need. Financial assistance is available during registration on a sliding scale starting at $25.
Full scholarships are available to a limited number of teams at schools or facilities with 70% or more students receiving free or reduced lunch.
Full-team scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. To apply:
- Complete the online Site Application – emailed to you after you attend one of the monthly info meetings
- Provide a letter on school or organization letterhead stating the school’s free/reduced lunch percentage for the academic year of application, signed by the principal or director
- Pay the $150 site fee per team, per season. This fee can be paid at the site’s discretion by individuals or the site itself.
Girls on the Run of Atlanta is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. Scholarships are made possible through donations from individuals, corporations, foundations and community organizations. Scholarship availability is based on the dollars raised to support our program and cannot be guaranteed.